If you are a motorist, then you know you can end up spending long hours if you are travelling during rush hours. Being stuck in traffic for so long can also cause serious accidents. According to new data, over 25 percent of the accidents which take place in Canada were rear-ended collisions, followed by those which involve the vehicles turning. By chance you do become a victim of a serious accident during rush hour traffic, it is crucial that you get in touch with your Personal Injury Lawyers Toronto. Following are a few things that you should know about accidents which take place during rush hour.
What is the main cause of accidents in traffic?
Serious accidents can take place during rush hour traffic. Here are just a few factors that contribute to such an event taking place.
- Distracted while driving: Even the slightest of distraction while driving can lead to one paying a heavy cost for it. Texting while driving or engaging in a conversation either over a call or with the fellow passenger, programming the GPS are just a few examples of the ways that can distract the driver and give rise to an accident.
- Fatigue:Being sleep deprived and exhausted decreases one attention span and makes one sluggish and sleepy, making it easy for the driver to lose control of the car and rear end the car in front. Being stuck in traffic in such a condition can increase the possibility of a potential accident.
- Drinking and driving: It is a well-known fact that drinking and driving do not mix well and is also against the law. However, we might feel that we are in control of ourselves and can drive back. When driving while drunk during rush hour means putting your and everyone else’s life at risk as you can easily lose control of the car because of impaired judgment and slow reflexes.
- Disobeying the traffic lights and the stop sign:Sometimes when drivers are in a hurry, they tend to ignore the traffic signals and zoom past the stop sign out of frustration at the slow pace of the traffic. Such behavior can cause life-threatening collisions.
- Aggressive behavior: There are times when the frustration of the traffic can turn into aggressive behavior. Frequent and safe changing of lanes, speed violations, tailgating and not yielding are just some of the examples of road rage. Such behavior can be life threatening and is the most common cause of accidents.
- Not yielding to the pedestrians: No matter how diligent a driver you are, there are times when we all try to make up for the time that we have lost in the traffic. Sometimes this is done by not yielding to the pedestrians.
What to do when you become a victim of it?
If a situation ever arises that you have become a victim of a serious accident due to rush hour traffic, it is crucial that you get in touch with a lawyer. Personal Injury Lawyers Toronto will guide you and give you trusted legal advice as to how to go about it.